Lil' Wayne: You're Not a Shooter
After reading Low-Key's All Hip Hop interview with Lil' Wayne, it dawned on me how much trite gangsterisms has distorted the Rap game. Drawing the line between records and reality seems to be more challenging than advanced calculus for some of these rappers. Granted, Weezy made a solid, albeit overrated, album lazily-titled Tha Carter II, but that barely gives him the license to run off the mouth like a chick demanding back payments on child support.
Birdman jr. seems to take this whole "Shooter" thing a little more seriously than Robin Thicke, threatening to drop Juvenile and adorn another tattoo tear in jubilation. But when asked about 50's Katrina comments, Weezy preferred not to speak up against Mr. Interscope, since it might be deleterious to his career (a la Ja Rule). C'mon man.
I liked your album, dawg. Just leave that other BS in the trunk.
Highlights of the interview:
- Clearly admits to biting Jay-Z's delivery and style
- Says F...k B.G., Juvenile, Mannie Fresh
- Wants no beef with 50 Cent for backing the government on the New Orleans debacle
- Discredits Andre 3000 as a co-pioneer of southern lyricism
- Gives props to UGK and Scarface for anchoring the southern rap movement