Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

« Home | Video: Kanye West - Stronger » | Pharoahe Monch - Interview » | Cuban Linx: 6-26-07 » | Pharoahe Monch Contest » | Cuban Linx: 6-25-07 » | Carter vs. Carter? » | T.I. + Jay-Z - Watch What You Say » | Video: Common & Dwele - The People » | Cuban Linx 6-21-07 » | Shots Fired: KRS-One vs. Jeff Chang » 

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 

And the Summer Jam of '07 Award Goes to...



















Coming from a guy who never really understood the whole anti-big-forehead campaign, take this with a large grain of salt.


Yeah, yeah, yeah I'm aware that Rihanna's vocal range is ridiculously shallow, but that's all "Umbrella" needed--for Rih to remain in her comfort zone. Minimalist pop music at its best. I don't need these pop crooners getting all melismatic in my ear all the time. Sometimes, less is more.

For his part, Hov does nothing to add or detract from this track. In fact, whenever "Umbrella" comes on, I usually forget that he had anything to do with it until I'm painfully reminded by that uninspired verse of his. Still, the man deserves some points on effort, if only for his ability to bob and weave on an instro that's neither hip-hop nor R&B. I wouldn't go as far as saying that he's presence was irrelevant, seeing as "Umbrella" and its gajillions of remixes helped land Rih-Rih her best first week figures. Ever.

Maybe it's the fact that she's finally embraced her weaknesses as a vocalist by redirecting her energy elsewhere to melody and warmth.

Either way, "Umb-a-rella" reigns.

Labels: ,

Who Run It?

  • I'm Rizoh
  • Reppin' Houston, Texas, United States
My profile

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz





Listening to



Blog Fam

Blogroll Me!

The Rap Up RSS/XML

Subscribe to The Rap Up

Add to My AOL

Add to Google

Subscribe in Bloglines

Google