Today in Hip-Hop: June 13th
This one's only for the heads. Enjoy the first installment:
- On this day in 1981, Rick James' smash hit 'Give it 2 Me Baby' topped Billboard's R&B Singles chart. It stayed up there for the following four weeks. It would later become a key sample for hip-hop tracks such as Jay-Z's 'I Just Wanna Love U', MC Hammer's 'Let's Get it Started' & DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince's 'All That'.
- On this day in 1988, hip-hop/r&b/soul group Guy released their eponymous debut record. The album featured the single 'Teddy's Jam' which was later sampled by the Bomb Squad for Public Enemy's classic track 'Fight the Power'. The song 'Piece of My Love' was also chopped up for Cali's own Ice Cube on his track 'Turn Off the Radio'.
- On this day in 1992, R. Kelly's single 'Honey Love' reached #1 on Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs list. The track was also featured on the hood-flick-classic Menace II Society.
- On this day in 1995, the track 'So Many Tears' from 2pac's classic album Me Against the World was released. 'Hard to Imagine' and 'If I Die 2nite' were the single's B-sides.
- On this day in 1999, the realms of hip-hop and wrestling collided: Master P took it to the ring and made his wrestling debut.
- On this day in 2000, Slum Village released their second album Fantastic, Vol. II. Rest in peace Dilla! By mere coincidence, future collaborator Madlib released his alter ego Quasimoto's debut album The Unseen on the very same day.
- Also on this day in 2000, Memphis, Tennessee's own Three 6 Mafia released their fourth album When the Smoke Clears: Sixty 6, Sixty 1. A triumph for southern hip-hop, it not only earned Three 6 Mafia their first platinum plaque, it became the first platinum hip-hop album out of Memphis.
- On this day in 2006, Aftermath Entertainment released Busta Rhymes' The Big Bang. Meaning what? Aftermath hasn't dropped anything over the course of the past year...as of yet at least...
- Researched and compiled by ya boy Ivan; check the original article at Hip-Hop Is Read
Rizoh returns in 5 days...
Labels: Today in Hip-Hop