Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

« Home | Cuban Linx 01-08-06 » | Soundbites - UGK + Devin + Rob G » | The List of Lists: 2006 » | Cuban Linx 01-05-06 » | Negro Please » | Jill Scott - Collaborations » | Throwback Thursday: Fat Boys - Sex Machine » | Bekay - The Year in Review » | Cuban Linx 01-03-07 » | Video: Papoose - Alphabetical Slaughter » 

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 

Stat Quo Takes a Dump on Female Journalist




















After reading Lauren Carter's Boston Herald article on the unprofessionalism displayed by Stat Quo during an interview, I'm forced to reevaluate my own awkward experience with another Shady rapper.
A few weeks ago I interviewed three artists involved in Eminem's new mix CD, "The Re-Up": Obie Trice, the Alchemist and Atlanta native Stat Quo. It was a group interview, with each of them phoning in from different parts of the country.

When I directed questions to Obie and Alchemist - who stayed mostly quiet during Stat's outbursts, occasionally laughing - Stat would chime in with vulgarities, such as informing me that Alchemist was defecating while on the phone with me.

When I hung up the phone, I felt cold. The more time that passed, the more uneasy I became. I wondered what, if anything, I should have done differently. I wondered how many other female journalists have been treated the same way. I wondered if I should just let it slide and chalk it up to interviewing rappers. Because, really, what's the record label going to do about Stat Quo sexually harassing a writer over the phone? Slap him on the wrist? Or high- five him?

According to Nobodysmiling.com, Stat Quo went on to inquire about the possibility of phone sex with Carter.

Not to steal the centerstage from Miss Carter, but I think the Shady camp needs to consider hiring a Speech Coach. I only say that because Ms. Carter's experience calls to mind a weird encounter I had with a different Shady rapper last year.

It happened in the middle of a phoner. I had sensed that said emcee may have been using a "stand-in" for the interview. His defense was that he has "several voices." Not only did this guy's voice differ extensively from the real deal, his accent, charisma, vocab, tone, etc raised a red flag in my head. Still, I was like "Cool, I'm looking forward to meeting the real [rapper X]," to which he angrily quipped "Is that all you gotta say, n***a!" I'll save you the rest of my horrific encounter with said loser.

Point is, there's definitely a pattern here. This is clearly a reflection of the label's culture or lack of one. Then again, what do you expect from Em's weed carriers when their boss has a reputation for picking fights with hand-held puppets at award shows.

Who Run It?

  • I'm Rizoh
  • Reppin' Houston, Texas, United States
My profile

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz





Listening to



Blog Fam

Blogroll Me!

The Rap Up RSS/XML

Subscribe to The Rap Up

Add to My AOL

Add to Google

Subscribe in Bloglines

Google